Best Christmas markets in Italy near the Dolomites, discover our offer
Christmas markets in Trentino Alto Adige are a deeply felt tradition: every year, between the end of November and January 6, the festive atmosphere of mountain towns and villages gets further enhanced by the ‘mercatini di Natale’, filled with local crafts, decorations, and food stands offering typical holiday fare. Many villages set up nativity scenes as well.
Read on to discover some of our favorite Christmas markets in Trentino-Alto Adige (Dolomites, South Tyrol).
The Best Christmas Markets in Trentino-Alto Adige (Italy)
Discover here the best Christmas Markets in our region!!
Mezzocorona and Mezzolombardo
The closest Christmas markets to Pineta are the ones in Mezzocorona and Mezzolombardo, which you can reach by train from the Dermulo station, connected to the hotel via the shuttle provided in December. The Christmas market in Mezzocorona is especially child-friendly as it features the ‘Santa Claus’ Home’, complete with reindeers and other animals from the North Pole; there are also children’s workshops, while adults can do some wine tasting – the area is famous for the production of the Teroldego Rotaliano red wine. The Mezzolombardo market highlights the region’s culinary tradition, so it’s especially good for foodies.
Located at the northern boundary of the Val di Non, Fondo is a pretty village famous for the Rio Sass canyon, a 300-meter long and 60-meter deep ravine which can be visited, and for the Smeraldo Lake. During the holiday season, Fondo hosts ‘Natale in tutti i sensi’, a ‘sensory Christmas’, where you can see, touch, listen to and taste everything Christmas!
Canale di Tenno and Rango
The Christmas atmosphere is all the more charming in the medieval villages of Canale di Tenno and Rango (part of the network of ‘Italy’s most beautiful historic hamlets’), where stands are set up among alleys, courtyards and houses; among the highlights are the ‘procession of the shepherds’, a living Nativity scene, the chance to learn about ancient crafts, classic Christmas carols, and typical local food. Canale di Tenno and Rango can be reached once or twice a week thanks to the shuttle organized by Pineta.
Trento, the main city in Trentino, hosts one of the most popular Christmas markets in Trentino-Alto Adige, with two locations, one in Piazza Fiera, one in Piazza Cesare Battisti; it displays many traditional decorations and nativity scenes. Gourmet stands offer local specialties such as polenta brustolada (grilled polenta) and canederli (bread dumplings), as well as vin brulè (mulled wine). And since you’re in Trento, you could visit the Buonconsiglio Castle and the excellent MUSE science museum. Trento is easily reached from Pineta with the train from Dermulo.
Admire the beloved tradition of ‘presepe’ in Ossana, known as the ‘nativity scene village’: it has more presepi than residents! This year especially, it will display a record 890 nativity scenes, set up in the streets and the Casa degli Affreschi building. In addition, the two Christmas markets will offer handmade crafts from local artisans and Trentino’s delicacies to taste.
40 kilometers north of Bolzano is beautiful Bressanone-Brixen, which hosts one of the most popular Christmas markets in Trentino-Alto Adige, set up in the Piazza del Duomo, overlooked by the two towers of the Cathedral, built in 980 AD. The market features many gift and decoration ideas: nativity scenes, wooden sculptures, hand-made ceramics, aromatic candles, glass balls and angels, and more. There are also a few gastronomic stands to warm up with vin brulé, try one of the many types of breads produced in South Tyrol, including the classic pretzel, or sweets treats such as strudel cake, made with apples.
Surrounded by mountains, Vipiteno is part of Italy’s network of ‘most beautiful borghi’ (hamlets); stroll the streets of its historic center to see the colorful houses with the typical ‘erker’, or bay windows, adorned with flowers. The Christmas market here, while not big, has much to choose from, and again, the items for sale are artisanal and locally made, like all Christmas markets in Trentino-Alto Adige. Among the most original are decorations made with dried fruits and spices; wooden elves, the traditional lucky charm of the Alps; Tyrolean-inspired pillow covers; and glass candle holders hand-painted with mountain scenes.
*When you book a stay at Pineta, you’ll receive the Trentino Guest Card upon check-in, which allows you to travel for free on local trains and buses.
Christmas Markets Trentino Alto Adige 2019 – 2020: the calendar
- Christmas Market in Palazzi Barocchi of Ala (TN): 23th-24th November 2019, 30th November – 1st December 2019, 7th-8th December 2019, 14th-15th December 2019, 21st-22nd December 2019 in piazza San Giovanni
- Christmas Market in Badia (BZ) “Paisc da Nadé”: from 6th December 2019 to 5th January 2020 in San Cassiano
- Christmas Markets in Bolzano – Bozen: from 29th November 2019 to 6th January 2020 in piazza Walther (cloesed 25th Dicember)
- Christmas Markets in Brentonico (TN): 6th-7th-8th December 2019, 20th-21st-22nd December 2019 in Palazzo Baisi
- Christmas Markets in Bressanone – Brixen (BZ): 29th November 2019 a 6th January 2020 in piazza Duomo
- Christmas Markets in Caldaro sulla Strada del Vino (Kaltern an der Weinstrasse): 30th November 2019 – 1st-7th-8th-14th-15th-20th-21st-22nd-23th-24th December 2019 in Caldaro paese – piazza Mercato
- Christmas Markets in Canale di Tenno (TN): from 23th November to 15th December 2019
- Christmas Markets in Corvara in Badia (BZ): 6th-7th-8th December 2019, 13rd-14th-15th December 2019, from 20th December 2019 to 5th January 2020
- Christmas Markets in Laives (BZ): from 30th November 2019 to 21st December 2019
- Christmas Markets in Levico Terme (TN): 23rd-24th-29th-30th November 2019, 1st-6th-7th-8th-13rd-14th-15th-20th-21st-22th-23th-24th December 2019, from 26th December 2019 to 6th January 2020 in Parco Secolare degli Asburgo
- Christmas Markets in Merano – Meran (BZ): from 29 November 2019 to 6th January 2020 in passeggiata Lungo Passirio, piazza Terma, piazza della Rena in the Old Town
- Christmas Markets in Pergine Valsugana (TN) – “Perzenalnd e La Valle Incantata”: 9th-10th-16th-17th-23rd-24th-30th November 2019, 1st-7th-8th-14th-15th-21st-22nd-23rd-24th-28th-29th December 2019 in the Old Town
- Christmas Markets in Renon (BZ) “Trenatale del Renon”: all weekends from friday to Sunday, 29th November 2019 – 29th December 2019 (stations of Soprabolzano and Collalbo)
- Christmas Markets in Rovereto (TN): from 22nd November 2019 to 6th January 2020 (Old Town)
- Christmas Markets in Val Gardena a Santa Cristina Valgardena – St. Christina in Gröden (BZ): from 6th to 30th December 2019 in Centro Sportivo Iman
- Christmas Markets in Sarntal – Val Sarentino (BZ) “Avvento alpino in Val Sarentino”: 30th November 2019 – 1st-7th-8th-14th-15th-21st-22nd December 2019 in the Old Town of Sarentino (Sarnthein)
- Christmas Markets in Selva di Val Gardena (BZ) “Mountain Christmas”: 6th-7th-8th-13rd-14th-15th December 2019, from 20th December 2019 to 6th January 2020 in Str. Meisules 213
- Christmas Markets in Trento: from 23rd November 2019 to 6th January 2020 in Piazza Fiera and piazza Cesare Battisti (closed 25th December)
- Christmas Markets in Vipiteno – Sterzing (BZ): from 29th November 2019 to 6th January 2020 in the Old Town
Discover here our special offers!!