Romedio lived between IV and V century. He was heir of a wealthy Bavarian family, lord of a castle near Innsbruck and owner of saline in the valley. After a pilgrimage to Rome he decided to give all his possessions to the church and retired to a hermitage in caves in the Val di Non. This caves are still near the Sanctuary. Abraham and David were his comrades. One day he had to go to Trento to greet Virgilio, the bishop of the city, and asked David to prepare the horse for the travel. After a while the disciple came back with the news that a bear had attacked and killed the horse. Romedio not flustered and ordered him to saddle the bear, who meekly allow itself to the saddle and leads Romedio to Trento. To Recalling this episode there is a statue placed next to a wooden arch at the entrance of the Sanctuary and in 1958 Senator Earl G. G. Gallarati Scotti, an honorary member of the Board of Trustees of WWF Italy, bought Charlie. Charlie was a bear which will die because his skin was already sold, so Gallarati Scotti took and donated Charlie to the sanctuary of St. Romedio.
Coming back to the history of Romesio…when was time to live Trento and come back in the Non valley Romedio saying bye to his friend, told him that when he’ll hear the bell ring of his church he will know that this was the sign of his departure. Legend tell us that this happened and that Virgilio gathered in prayer with the whole city of Trento, when the bell rang, for the saint's death.
The cult of Saint Romedio was officially recognized in 1300 by the Church and devotion to the Holy increase much in the XV century, when the sanctuary was crowded with pilgrims, many carrying votive.
The original church dedicated to Saint Romedio was build in 1000 century on the Romedio’s grave by the pellegrins. In 1489 began the construction of the second church dedicated to saint Giorgio, in the 1514 began the costruction of the third churd dedicated to saint Michele and in 1536 started the construction of the main church of saint Romedio.
For last one was erected in 1918 the church of the grieving, out of gratitude to the Virgin for the newfound peace after the tragedy of the First World War.
Inside the sanctuary are kept many votive art of the fifteenth, sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. In the first church of Saint Romedio the painting are showing the "Madonna with Child", the “Last Supper" and a series of angels and saints. In the church of Saint Giorgio the paintings are showing the Doctors of the Church and the symbols of the Evangelists. In the church of San Michele, above the altar, a sixteenth-century altarpiece depicting the Archangel Michael who represses Lucifer in Hell. In the main church of Saint Romedio the Altarpiece depicts St. Romedio with the bear on a leash, while the frescoes on the walls depicting the Twelve Apostles and the Annunciation and the Assumption of the Virgin.
The feast of St. Martyr Romedio is celebrated on January 15
here is the program of the Festival:
At 09.00 Livio bring you in the traditional pilgrimage to the St. Romedio’s sanctuary where you can assist to the Holy Mass. At the end a little pause to taste a special hot drink made with wine and spices and for the more daring the first plate of tripe. The pilgrimage continues to Sanzeno, with a stop at the Mulino restaurant, where you will taste the traditional dishes of the feast. On the way back a little stop at the Farms of Tavon for a snack and then back to the hotel.
From 20.30 in our hotel the Feast go on with Tripe, Salt Cod and live music for everybody.
During the summer in the Sanctuary held a series of cultural and musical events as part of '"Summer Romediana".